Friday, May 31, 2013

Renting Sucks

Today I will briefly speak about my living experience in chicago and hope it helps you when you decide who you choose to rent from.  When I moved to Chicago I already knew the city was know for its shady politics, but I was not informed about their shady landlords.  I'm asked to provide a background check and my renting history everytime I want to rent a place.  I have no problem with providing the information because I have nothing to hide, but it would be a problem if I asked for the same information.

If I had a background check on my second landlord I would have dodged coming home to a letter saying my place of living is being foreclosed on because they didn't pay their homeowers association fees.  They are like $300 and they could pay that out of the rent we gave them.  They were also apart of a black greek organization.  I guess OOOOps, I made a mistake thinking they would be upstanding also.  Needless to say we had an early exit!

If I had a history of what my current landlord has done with their previous properties I would not be exiting early right now.  The current landlord cut the yard once....right before he sold our place to someone else!!! But while living here he was slow to fix things and my front door has yet to be fixed.  Needless to say, we will be exiting early.

I don't really know how to solve this issue in Chicago.  If they look shady then they probably are, if they don't even show up to anything at any point, then they will probably be an absesnt landlord.  Well the new guy we plan to rent from seems to be a good christian guy (don't lead me astray Jesus!).  I guess someone needs to come up with a rate my landlord website....wait I think I will!

No comments: